Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ricki Lake blamed sexual abuse for weight issues

Ricki Lake weight issues Original HAIRSPRAY star and tabloid talk show host Ricki Lake has blamed childhood sexual abuse for her weight issues. Ricki weighed 260 pounds at heaviest and she struggled a lot to lose extra pounds.


Once Ricki started taking her health seriously, she was able to lose half of her body weight. And now she feels that she would not have been facing weight issues if she had not been physically abused n her childhood.


She says, "I was a victim of childhood sexual abuse and I think it contributed. Who knows for sure? I've done many years in therapy and worked on all my issues.
"I didn't talk about it for, like, 15 or 20 years; I didn't admit that it had happened to me because I wanted to kind of bury things.


"It, in some way, made me who I am today... I don't want to be a poster child for this at all but it's very weird thing for children when they're violated in that way. "Food became a comfort to me; it was my kind of security blanket." Speaking exclusively to U.S. news show Access Hollywood, Lake admitted she never confronted her abuser when she eventually told her parents of the abuse but the person was "quickly removed" from her life.

4 comments:

sjz said...

Being very overweight is also a way of keeping people away, especially potential sexual partners, in this skinny-obsessed society. It's a protective mechanism. Very good for Ricki Lake to speak out about this issue. I think it's more common than we know.

Antony Trepniak said...

She looked better before she lost weight. Absolutely gorgeous in "Hairspray". It's a shame she succumbed to the pressure.

threeRd said...

Mikey_C,
I don't know why I got so irritated at Mikey_C's comment, but I did. I understand him saying he thought she looked better before she lost weight, but his comment about succumbing to the pressure makes me wonder if he read the same article I did.

Unknown said...

It's sad that people don't know about this kind of stuff. This could really ruin people's lives yet the majority of people turn a deaf ear and blind eye to it. I think that it is very great for Ricki to speak out, to let people know that this happens to children.